Friday, December 21, 2012

All the King's Men (1949)

Boy, I’ve never seen so many newspaper headlines flying at my face cued to dramatic music in all my life… that being said, I quite enjoyed this movie. I had only heard of All the King’s Men because of the 2006 all-star remake (which I still have yet to see) that was rapidly panned and forgotten. Willie Stark is a very interesting character with an almost Egyptian obsession of being remembered after he’s gone- He’s the kind of man that will build football stadiums, roads, skyscrapers, you name it as long as his name is emblazoned on it. Broderick Crawford’s Oscar-winning performance transitions effortlessly from idealistic country boy to imperialistic boss, and all it took was one montage scene in which he’s mad as hell and isn’t going to take it anymore. John Ireland skillfully portrays Jack Burden, a sort of James Stewart-esque character fighting for what he thinks is right, until it becomes clearer that he was never on the right side. Burden is just another in a long list (including basically every woman in Stark’s life and his own son) of those Stark is willing to step on to get what he wants, demonstrating that absolute power corrupts absolutely no matter who you are. It’s hard to deny the perennial relevance of such a tale when the film mirrors the story of Jimmy Hoffa or basically any mob figure or dictator that ever lived. Despite a rather odd final shot, All the King’s Men is a fascinating political thriller that comes highly recommended.  

I found it interesting that this movie came up so soon after this year's Presidential election.  This only added to the fact that I didn't love it.  I didn't hate it but I must admit, I'm a bit sick of politics after hearing all of the ad campaigns.  And this movie adequately illustrates the problems with politics.  I did find it interesting how part of Stark's crew struggled with their moral compass and loyalty to the candidate that they believed in.  Even after Stark burns bridges and throws his friends and family under the bus, his posse reluctantly stands by.  Stark lets his issues with alcohol influence his campaign for governor and later takes root within his family when his son gets in a car accident because of drunk driving .  I struggled with the ending because it just ended so abruptly. In my opinion, it left a lot to be desired.  I was dividing my attention with Pinterest, which didn't help... overall, it happened.  I don't really have a ton to comment on.  Short post today, friends.  


Director Rossen filmed in an unusual manner. Nobody in the cast had a script. Rossen let them read it once and took it away from them. According to Broderick Crawford, "We really had to stay on our toes." 





Jack Burden: What's so special about him?
Madison, the Editor: They say he's an honest man. 


No comments:

Post a Comment