Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Life of Pi (2012 Nominee)

An extraordinary tale of a young man who survives a shipwreck.  His only companion is a fearsome Bengal Tiger named Richard Parker.  

I went into Life of Pi very cautiously optimistic; I had read and fell in love with the book in High School and was filled with trepidation at the thought of a mediocre retelling because of an inevitable loss in translation. Thankfully, the inspired masterstroke of signing Ang Lee on for the project has resulted what is likely the best possible adaptation of Yann Martel’s incredible novel. Filled with stunning images, the visual effects and 3D are some of the finest I have yet seen- in fact, the 3D was so immersive that I found myself almost getting seasick with the stormy rocking of the life boat. Suraj Sharma delivers a totally believable breakthrough performance as the titular character. After all, he has to for the film to work- the vast majority of the film is just him with a CGI tiger. While this film will likely not win Best Picture, it’s a lock for music and visual effects and is very competitive in all other categories. Those looking for an intense, realistic survival film will be disappointed, but this is not one of those films- it is a meditation on faith, belief and the power of storytelling, and it is one of the finest examples of the latter this year. 

I liked this movie.  The visual effects were unbelievable!  Tim is correct in saying that you almost feel seasick halfway through the movie.  The beginning of the movie where you learn Pi's background is so unique with some laugh out loud moments.  I don't really have a ton to say about this movie.  I'm not going to lie, there were things I didn't really understand about the movie or that I'm not sure that I understood.  Like the Carnivorous Island...?  However, the movie was incredible and the ending really stays with you.  While it was very, very good, it was not my favorite movie of the year.  It's probably one I don't need to watch over and over again.   Maybe once I read the book, I'll really love the movie.  

Yann Martel, the author of the book has stated that his inspiration for the book's premise came from reading a book review of Brazilian author Moacyr Scliar's 1981 novella Max and the Cats, about a Jewish-German refugee who crossed the Atlantic Ocean while sharing his boat with a jaguar. 






Writer: [reading off the report] Mr. Patel's is an astounding story, courage and endurance unparalleled in the history of ship-wrecks. Very few castaways can claim to have survived so long, and none in the company of an adult Bengal tiger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment