Thursday, July 11, 2013

West Side Story (1961)



Inspired by Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, the feuding families are re-imagined as rival gangs in a racially charged turf war in New York City. When Tony and Maria from opposite sides meet and fall in love, their secret threatens to tear everyone’s lives and worlds apart. 


The first time I saw West Side Story was in a middle school theater class, and I will never forget how mesmerized I was by the opening scene. It remains my favorite film musical because not only is the dancing and choreography outstanding, but it actually means something and serves the plot instead of just singing and dancing “because it’s a musical and that’s what you’re supposed to do.” The dichotomy of dangerous tough guys that dance propelled by a jazzy Leonard Bernstein score combined with a social commentary about how society deals with minorities and juvenile delinquents makes for a near-perfect movie experience. Why near perfect? Because some of the male chorus singing is shaky at best; at the beginning of “Tonight,” some of them even sing the wrong words. I may never get over that.


When I was kid, I got confused about why Maria and Tony couldn't be together.  Because let's face it... Maria doesn't look Puerto Rican AND Tony doesn't really look white... he's really tan.  and I don't know... he didn't look white.  Other than that...the movie is pretty good.  I do have issues with Romeo and Juliet in general because I believe the show was written to be a satire about how kids are dumb and impressionable and their parents are closed minded.  I mean it's all about young love.  Young, stupid love.  The character of Rosalind in Romeo and Juliet is the key reason why this show should be viewed as more of satire.  I mean Romeo is whining about the loss of Rosalind and going on and on about how much he loved her... ten minutes later, his pain is healed when he's making out with Juliet.   I think West Side Story really changes the tension when Rosalind doesn't exist.  And with a change in ending, it really winds up being an inspiring, but sad ending about hope and change. 


For your viewing pleasure, Sassy Gay Friend has similar ideas!





Riff and Tony repeat an oath of loyalty to each other: Riff says "womb to tomb" and Tony answers "birth to earth." On stage Tony's original answer was "sperm to worm," but this was changed for the movie because it was beyond the censorship standards of the time. 




"I love the island MANHATTAN!" - Anita "I KNOW YOU DO!!!" - other Puerto Rican chick.

No comments:

Post a Comment