Thursday, February 14, 2013

Amour (2012 Nominee)

Georges and Anne are in their eighties and are both retired music teachers. Anne suffers a massive attack and the couple's bond of love is tested.

This movie was good.  I guess when it was over I just felt kind of meh.  I mean it is a depressing-as-crap movie but the end just happens.  When it was over, it didn't really leave it's mark on me.  There were pieces of the movie that didn't really go anywhere.  They discussed being burgled in the beginning so I just assumed that would happen.  I mean I get the significance and I think it's definitely worth seeing, it just wasn't exactly as amazing as I had expected.  The acting is quite incredible especially by Emmanuelle Riva!  She is the oldest woman to have been nominated for an Oscar.  She was amazing.  Her performance should be studied by actors... I'm dead serious.  

To a current music teacher, nothing says "uplifting" like watching the story of elderly, depressed and terminally ill music teachers. This film is very honest and "real" yet it has that rare distinction of being a great film but a "bad movie": there is basically no entertainment or replay value to be found here. I'm familiar with Haneke's work and am aware that he is an excellent director; this film is far less violent and creepy than some of his work. I just simply don't understand why films like Skyfall and Moonrise Kingdom (or even past Best Foreign Film winners/nominees like The Lives of Others or Cinema Paradiso) were not Best Picture nominees but this film is. The performances and the overall craft is excellent but the film leaves you mostly empty and unfulfilled. I will likely find it more relevant and meaningful when I am of an age comparable to the lead characters, but as for now I don't imagine I will ever watch this film again.


According to Jean-Louis Trintignant, one of the main reasons why the pigeon scenes took so much to shoot (12 takes) is because Michael Haneke tried to direct the animal constantly.




Georges: Things will go on, and then one day it will all be over.  (Translated from French) 

No comments:

Post a Comment