Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lincoln (2012 Nominee)

In the midst of the Civil War, Lincoln puts forward the amendment to emancipate slaves.  

A new film by Steven Spielberg is always cause for celebration and anticipation, and Lincoln is no exception. I had heard news of its development for several years when Liam Neeson was signed on to star for a long time until Daniel Day-Lewis was called in to fill the part. There is a reason that Day-Lewis is only in one film every few years- every performance is a powerhouse achievement and he will almost certainly win his third Oscar for this film. Lincoln wisely does not attempt to portray the entire life of the 16th President nor does it take the messianic approach to the man. The film seems well-researched and the supporting cast was wonderful- Tommy Lee Jones may also take home a trophy and I was very pleasantly surprised by James Spader and Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s brief but memorable turn as Abraham’s son Robert. As is to be expected of Spielberg’s films, the costumes, cinematography and make-up are all top-notch.  

While Lincoln seems to be the logical choice and prediction for Best Picture, it’s not my pick and I just don’t see that happening due to the strengths of some of the other nominees. It’s a great film that I will watch again but one that did not impact me personally as much as some of the other films of the year. 

This movie was great!  I really enjoyed it.  Some of my Facebook friends were saying that this movie was boring.... what the crap?  I disagree!  I found it to be very suspenseful through it's dialogue.  Tony Kushner adapted the script and he is a brilliant man.  Not only did he do the screen play for one of Tim's favorites, Munich and he wrote the play for Angels in America, a very thoughtful and eye-opening film.  I was thrilled to see him be a part of this project.  I grew up with a great appreciation for Lincoln.  He's my father's favorite president.  We visited all of the Lincoln-centric sites in Washington D.C. on a family visit.  Daniel Day-Lewis was incredible.   And I was extremely impressed with Lee Pace who played an outspoken Democrat with a sharp tongue.   The part of the movie I found ridiculous was the manner in which bills were discussed in the House of Representative.  It was portrayed as an explosion of opinions with insults flying across the room.  It was a mad house!  


The grandfather of Michael Stanton Kennedy was a newspaperman from the town where his character, Hiram Price, lived. When filming the scene where the 13th Amendment passes, Kennedy started to cry and couldn't explain why until later, when he told Steven Spielberg "We're in this room recreating one of the most important moments in American history... and up there [in the balcony] with the press sat my great-grandfather." 







Abraham Lincoln: I could write shorter sermons but when I get started I'm too lazy to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment