Saturday, February 23, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook (2012 Nominee)

Pat moves back in with his parents after a stint in a mental institution and tries to reconcile with his estranged wife.  Tiffany is struggling with the recent death of her husband.  Together they dance to forget their problems.  

The trailer for Silver Linings Playbook looked promising but not spectacular, yet my ears pricked up at the mention of David O. Russell, director of Three Kings and The Fighter. The Fighter was a film which also had an average trailer and wound up being incredible thanks to a brilliant script and acting. While it takes some time to unfold its complete story, Silver Linings Playbook was not at all disappointing and sticks out amongst even the very best films of the year.  Jennifer Lawrence could very possibly usurp early frontrunner Jessica Chastain and Bradley Cooper turns in an unexpected and impressive performance. In fact, “unexpected” is a word that can describe most of the movie; by turns hilarious, touching and sad, Silver Linings Playbook is the wildcard that could win it all on Sunday night if the votes split between Argo and Lincoln. From here on out, I trust a film by Russell to be excellent, no matter how average the trailer may seem.

I agree with Tim.  When I first heard of Silver Linings Playbook, I sort of thought it was your generic romantic comedy with some great actors.  After hearing SO much hype about it, I thought to myself, it cannot be this good.  It just can't.  But it was.  It was outstanding performances by everyone INCLUDING Chris Tucker!  It was nice to see him back in movies. I think every nomination from this movie is deserved.  I believe that Jennifer Lawrence has an excellent chance of winning and she was very good.  However, the lead actress from Amour had one of the most outstanding performances of the year.  Jennifer Lawrence did well because she seemed like such a relatable and real person.  Great performance just not my favorite of the year.  Overall, I really enjoyed this movie and I LOVE seeing a romantic comedy nominated again.  


Outside of the movie theater, the marquee shows that the theater is playing The Midnight Meat Train starring Bradley Cooper



Pat: You have poor social skills. You have a problem. 
Tiffany: I have a problem? You say more inappropriate things than appropriate things. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment