Friday, February 21, 2014

American Hustle (2013 Nominee)

American Hustle is basically a 1970's version of The Sting (one of my favorite movies).  Everybody's conning everybody up in here. 

Thanks to a great trailer, an accomplished director that works real magic with actors and a solid all-star cast, I was very much looking forward to seeing American Hustle. My excitement was nearly killed by the inconsiderate couple behind us in the theater that talked all the way through the first 20 minutes before leaving anyway (bastards) but at least that means I can see it again and find something new. It turns out that the trailer only gave a small peek into what the film was about, which was a mostly pleasant surprise. There were some very inspired bits, such as trying to masque the very clearly Hispanic-looking Michael Peña as a Sheik, the scene-stealing Jennifer Lawrence as the mother of the year seemingly always about to burn the house down or any scene with Louis C.K.  Yet while I wasn’t disappointed with American Hustle, I did find it to be one of the most overrated of this year’s Best Picture nominees. The cast was fantastic and they nailed the period settings and clothing but the film didn’t leave the same kind of impact on me as Russell’s last films Silver Linings Playbook and The Fighter did. While most of its Oscar nominations were earned, I predict that it will not win many of them; actually one of the most impressive and crucial performances in this film is the one no one is talking about and that is Jeremy Renner. His "friendship" and subsequent falling out with Bale is the soul of the movie and as much as I love Christian Bale and was pleased to see him win for The Fighter, I wish his nomination for Best Actor had instead gone to Tom Hanks for Captain Phillips. An honorary Oscar should go to Bale’s epic comb-over for this film, which is basically a main character in its own right. In any case, I will definitely revisit American Hustle and will very likely enjoy it more the second time. Without the bastard couple commentary it may even become one of my favorites of the year.

I agree with Tim in saying that it was an overrated movie.  I blame part of that on seeing the ball-busting 180miles an hour Wolf of Wall Street beforehand that made American Hustle seem slow and slightly tired.  To me, there were two phenomenal performances.  Jennifer Lawrence completely stole the movie and will likely get her a second Oscar.  The other was not nominated.  Louis C.K. has created a character so real, honest, sad and hysterical.  Both Bale and Cooper had wonderful moments but, in my opinion, they have no chance of winning.  Sorry boys.  The only performance I was just whelmed with was surprisingly Amy Adams.  Her constant fluctuation of accents really threw me.  (AND yes, I know it's supposed to add to her character because she's been pretending to be many people that she doesn't even know who she is but it just seemed a bit lazy to me).  The only thing that distracted me more than the accents was her nipples.  Seriously.  I know, in great detail, the shape of Miss Adam's nipples.  It added to the movie sometimes but sometimes it was like… dude.. that's your whole nipple.  I really liked this movie but I think I am desperately in need of a second viewing.  

According to Christian Bale much of the movie was improvised. So, during the shooting of the film he noted to David O. Russell, "You realize that this is going to change the plot greatly down track." To which the director replied, "Christian, I hate plots. I am all about characters, that's it."


Rosalyn Rosenfeld: Life is ridiculous. And you know that I would never say anything bad about your father in front of you, but your father is a sick son-of-a bitch.
Danny Rosenfeld: Daddy's a sick son-of-a-bitch?
Rosalyn Rosenfeld: Don't repeat that... but yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment