Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Nebraska (2013 Nominee)

An father makes the trip from Montana to Nebraska with his semi-estranged son in order to claim a million-dollar Mega Sweepstakes Marketing prize.

Ok.  I LOVE this movie.  This was my favorite movie of the year, which yes, includes Frozen.  I KNOW, RIGHT???  So why was this my favorite movie of the year?  Well, for starters the beginning of the movie takes place (and was filmed) in Billings, Montana.  I mean… I live here now, so that's pretty cool.  Next, Bruce Dern's performance as the alcoholic dad is amazing! He is determined to claim a million-dollar Mega Sweepstakes Marketing prize which everyone in his family knows is a big hoax but regardless, they help him get there despite all of the ill feelings from the past.  AND the wife, played by June Squibb, is the sassiest gal in all the land!  She says things that will make your jaw drop to the ground.  This movie is about crazy families doing the best they can and sticking together.  But most importantly, I think my new job in hospice really enhances my compassion and understanding of an older man's last hoorah and this movie beautifully displays that.  If you are watching it and you think you know how it's going to end, you don't.  But don't fear!  It's the perfect ending to this wonderfully crafted film.  I would LOVE it if this movie won best picture but it probably won't.  And I think Bruce Dern SHOULD win Best Actor but he probably wonIt's on DVD, so go rent it.  Immediately.  

I had first heard of Nebraska because of the Internet buzz surrounding Bruce Dern’s performance, so I guess I sort of assumed that it would be a great performance but the movie would just be meh. In a year full of them, Nebraska is the biggest surprise of the year- it’s incredibly funny, memorable and touching. Even though it seems like American Hustle is getting all of the attention for acting and screenplay, I feel like much of that attention is more deserving for Nebraska; I would love to see Bruce Dern and June Squibb win Oscars even if they don’t seem like the most likely choices. Seriously, all of Squibb’s dialogue is priceless and she says it perfectly. In one scene, she approaches a headstone in a graveyard saying, “There's Woody's little sister, Rose. She was only nineteen when she was killed in a car wreck near Wausa. What a whore!” We’ve been quoting this movie since we saw it and can’t wait to see it again, which makes this somewhat unique among this year’s nominees- it’s not like we’ve been giggling about the lines or quoting 12 Years a Slave. So seriously, don’t pay attention to those that may say this is boring or undeserving of awards attention and see this with as few spoilers as possible. It just may be the biggest surprise of the year for you, too.

Alexander Payne's fourth film set in his home state of Nebraska, after Citizen Ruth(1996), Election (1999) and About Schmidt (2002).



Kate Grant: I ain't fiddlin' with no cow titties. I'm a city girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment