Saturday, February 8, 2014

Annie Hall (1977)


Neurotic New Yorker Alvy Singer (played by Woody Allen, of course) traces what went wrong in his relationship with Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) as they face personality quirks and differences which eventually turn their love into merely tolerating one another. 

My history with Woody Allen can be split into two parts: the era before I saw Annie Hall, and the era after I saw Annie Hall. Pre-Annie Hall, I hated Woody Allen. I mostly enjoyed Match Point but I thought Vicky Christina Barcelona was a huge waste of time with a couple solid performances… and that was basically all I had seen or wanted to see of him. I didn’t care about his neurotic New Yorker shtick that I didn’t understand anyway as a Montanan that has never been to NYC. However, I knew Annie Hall had won Best Picture and was supposed to be great, so I felt obligated to check it out one summer about five years ago with pretty indifferent expectations. And color me surprised, I absolutely loved it. I laughed out loud several times and caught many instances that this film was referenced in pop culture that I was previously oblivious to, and it helps that I was now at an age where his themes and stories are more relevant and comprehensible. Here was a work that was not only very funny and insightful but also very personal without being too self-indulgent (unless you are not a fan of breaking the fourth wall, in which case you will probably hate this film). Damn it, I thought, now I have to watch more Woody Allen movies. I still don’t love everything he does and he makes a movie nearly every year so I have a long way to go but I very much enjoyed Manhattan and Midnight in Paris (I'm still processing Blue Jasmine although I did like it and Blanchett's performance was fantastic) and have many more on my to-do list. Your suggestions are very welcome; until then, give Annie Hall a first try or a second spin and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. On a side note: the quote at the bottom of this post NEVER ceases to make me laugh- I can never believe it when he says it.

Oddly enough, I really identify with Woody Allen in this movie.  His constant nervous twittering that seems to go on forever about every single neurotic thing he's ever thought in his whole life….. I mean seriously.  Is this me?  Both Diane Keaton and Woody Allen are wonderful.  Their awkward, yet charming interactions are so marvelous.  I don't really have too much to say about this movie, I just really like it and liked seeing another "rom com" in the mix.  The only other ones were It Happened One Night, Marty, and The Apartment.  Annie Hall is in great company!


The passerby Alvy refers to as "the winner of the Truman Capote look-alike contest" is in fact Truman Capote, who appears uncredited.






Alvy Singer: My grammy never gave gifts. She was too busy getting raped by Cossacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment